Maybe you feel embarrassed your teeth are not straight or just want to have a perfect smile. Everyone deserves a beautiful smile, and at Knapp Orthodontics, our team aims to help you boost your confidence and achieve the smile you’ve always wanted.
Many people are scared to go to the dentist, but orthodontic care is common. Not sure if you should get a consult for braces or similar treatment? The Knapp Orthodontics Team has put together a brief guide on what you need to know:
How to determine if you need braces
Think you need braces? It’s natural to want a beautiful smile, and there are a few indicators that may suggest orthodontic treatment is a good fit for you:
• Losing baby teeth early – those who lose teeth early on in life could have alignment and development issues, since it’s likely adult teeth did not grow in correctly
• Crowded teeth – it’s easy to see crooked teeth, and if you are embarrassed to smile and show your teeth off, it may be time to consider cosmetic options
• Unnatural jaw shifts and sounds – it may be difficult to notice or hear odd jaw shifts and sounds, but these things can significantly affect teeth and jaw development
• Consistent cheek biting – cheek biting could mean teeth are not properly aligned, causing either an overbite or underbite
• Difficulties chewing food – simple things like chewing difficulties could indicate jaw misalignment, which can be corrected by orthodontic treatment
If you or someone you know experiences any of these things, don’t worry! Although these symptoms may indicate jaw and teeth misalignment, they can be corrected with quality orthodontic care and treatment. You can be in charge of your own smile and dental health.
Why are braces helpful?
In most cases, orthodontic concerns are inherited from family genetics, but sometimes problems can arise from mouth breathing, major accidents, or even consistent thumb sucking at a young age. In any case, receiving orthodontic care can treat most problems. If seeking treatment is for esthetic reasons or jaw pain, your local orthodontist can help by providing you a personalized treatment plan at an initial consult appointment.
When should you get braces?
Usually, orthodontic treatment – including braces – begins at a young age. It is best for children and teenagers between the ages of 8 and 14 to receive comprehensive treatment, so chances of additional treatment can be decreased later in life.
Early intervention is ideal, but there are certain cases that may call for later treatment, when the jaw has fully developed. Individual cases vary, and it’s important to consult with your orthodontist during a comprehensive examination to learn about which treatment is right for your child.
Our team understands that receiving oral treatment can be scary, difficult and expensive. No matter your age or worries, Knapp Orthodontics is here to help you achieve your goals and increase smile confidence. If you’re looking to your local orthodontist for some help, contact us, so we can set up a free consultation. We’re here for you – and your smile.